Travel through bathroom culture history
Bathroom with traditional elements and modern comfort
If you love the flair of the Belle Époque and beautiful things with a history, then get inspired by this vintage bathroom. This bath tub and sink from the opulent history of bathroom culture characterize the retro style, matched by tiles with traditional ornaments. Individual furniture pieces made of rough wood and elegant-rustic natural stone tiles are stylishly complemented. In the shower, the chosen mural adds a personal touch and fits with the nostalgic faucets. Last but not least, the shower curtain on the bath tub gives a charming feeling of déjà vu. In this dream bathroom, the modern world of single-hole faucets and floor-level showers blends harmoniously with historical, stylistic elements.
Modern faucets with charm for a comfortable, stylish bathroom
The elegantly curved faucets of the hansgrohe Metropol Classic line interpret the retro style both skilfully and in a timelessly modern way. Fine gold-look details add a touch of luxury that matches the freestanding bath tub and nostalgic sink. The floor-standing bath tub faucet elegantly completes the playful bath tub. In the spacious shower, the overhead shower from the Raindance Classic category and the shower set ensure individual comfort that can be conveniently adjusted at any time on the space-saving, concealed installation faucet. Here, too, golden accents create an atmospheric journey through time in the bathroom.
The charm of nostalgia
This bathroom takes you back to the stylish past of bathroom culture while also meeting modern demands for comfort and wellness. This nostalgic bath tub with lion’s feet and the Victorian sink meet modern faucet technology with golden accents. Contemporary showering pleasure is provided at floor level, harmoniously integrated into an ambiance with retro flair.
Do you think everything used to be more beautiful in the past? Do you love to reminisce? Do you feel at home in an environment that exudes a touch of nostalgia? Then it’s high time for vintage in your bathroom. Retro is charming, timeless, and classy – whether you're resurrecting the 1950s or letting the elegance of a Victorian “powder room” take hold. The basic rule with high-quality vintage furnishings: the look is old-fashioned, but the technology behind it is ultra-modern. That way, you don’t have to sacrifice any comfort on your “sentimental journey.”
Bathroom furnishings in style: Retro from bath tub to sink
Transform your entire bathroom into a vintage dream. Or use retro elements as an effective style break in a modern space. Either way, you can draw from a wide range of suitable equipment.
- Compared to modern models, ceramics have many corners and edges – always softly rounded. Countertop sinks are gently curved. Built-in sinks have generous banks of faucet holes. A true eye-catcher: pedestal sinks – alternatively, on a classic ceramic column or with a filigree metal frame in oiled bronze. Wonderfully old-fashioned, octagonal shapes in hand sinks convey a nostalgic flair. A special retro element in toilets and bidets: they, too, stand on the floor.
- The look is reminiscent of times long past. Inside, you'll find state-of-the-art sanitation engineering: antique-look faucets make no compromises when it comes to comfort and convenience. Aesthetically, they convince with beautiful curves, attached rings, and elaborately decorated, cylindrical shapes. Classic: the cross handles. Vintage faucets are either made of high-gloss chrome, or copper or brass – matte brushed or shiny. Make it particularly stylish with white ceramic details.
- The freestanding bath tub is the centerpiece. It embodies the luxury of glamorous eras of centuries past. Invitingly displaying its opulent curves, it sits enthroned on either an elegant pedestal or ornately clawed feet. The classic bath tub is made of cast iron: white enamel on the inside, lacquered on the outside – white, black, or colorful. Immerse yourself in a wonderfully nostalgic world.
- That still leaves the good, old shower. Modern walk-in showers with simple glass partitions don’t exude much retro flair. However, you don't want to do without their convenient access, even in your vintage bathroom. You can counter the shower’s minimalism with a lush faucet in a nostalgic design: with a large shower head, coarse frame, and old-fashioned brass shower hose. As a finish, gold is magical – brushed or shining. It only gets more beautiful with white ceramic handles. But the best part is that these models offer you all the comfort of a modern shower system – including a rain shower.
Walls, floors, accessories: How to complete your retro bathroom in style
To match the nostalgic furniture, you need the right finish for your surfaces – and stylish accessories.
- For the walls, there are beautiful vintage tiles – in a lily pattern, for example. Simple, high-gloss, white painted tiles in a brick look can also create a nostalgic flair. If you like things extra homey, special damp room wallpapers are a good choice. Choose a charming striped look or an opulent floral pattern and feel like you're in a classic “powder room.” If you want it to be completely authentic, cover the lower third of the walls with wood panels painted matte white.
- Floor tiles in a vintage pattern combined with a simple wall design in white or delicate pastel shades underscore the elegance of a classic Victorian bathroom. Alternatively, a plank floor painted white or elegant marble could also work well. Black and white tiles in a checkerboard pattern bring an authentic 1950s look to the floor.
- Last but not least, retro accessories belong in a vintage bathroom: dreamlike, old-fashioned mirrors with floral decorations, stylish vases and candlesticks, a crystal chandelier on the ceiling. A nostalgic chair as an elegant individual piece offers a beautiful storage option for bathrobes.
Frequently asked questions about the retro bathroom
Vintage models are available in all product categories: from faucets and ceramics to toilets and bath tubs.
Of course. High-quality retro bathroom equipment looks old-fashioned, but the technology is ultramodern.
With tiles in vintage patterns or brick look painted white, vintage wallpaper, or painted wood panels.
Floor tiles with vintage patterns, plank flooring, and marble fit the classic Victorian style. Black and white tiles complete a 1950s look.
Old-fashioned mirrors, vases, candlesticks, chandeliers, individual vintage furniture.
Nostalgic time travel with modern convenience to enjoy
A retro bathroom exudes nostalgic charm and pampers you with a timelessly elegant ambiance. At the same time, you can enjoy the comfort of modern technology. Whether you choose the full outfit in true style or add vintage accents: Once you’ve furnished your bathroom, you’ll see not everything was more beautiful in the old days.
Might we provide you with regular inspiration?
Subscribe to our newsletter!